Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Phobia-Doll Color Choices

For the phobia-dolls project, a number of people had questions about my color choices both this week and last week. This post is to try and clarify the thought process behind my color choices just a little bit more. One of the biggest sources of inspiration for these dolls come from the show Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Below is a video clip of one of the more well known battles with Charlotte, the dessert witch.

(Warning: Fantasy Violence)


What I wanted to take from the show is how the fear factor of the witches don't rely on color choices, but rather what they are and what they do. Charlotte's color palate doesn't read as fearful to me, but she still becomes this fearful creature that eats people. It gave me a little freedom to think that I didn't have to limit myself in any way because I'm making dolls based on fear. It  meant I could create something that's both dark and beautiful at the same time. That being said, I can still bring in more of the fear aspect when I go to setup the photos. Atmosphere and lighting will play a big role in the presentation of the final dolls for the blog. Hopefully these dolls will become an ongoing project that I can continue outside of class.

I hope this answers some questions, but if there are still some unanswered questions or concerns about the project, please feel free to leave a comment below and I'll try to get to them as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment